Fixed penalty Notices
Attendance - Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNS)
Dear Parents/ Carers,
I am writing to inform you that, in line with our cluster of schools, we will be issuing Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNS) to parents/ carers whose children have unauthorised attendance. We may issue an FPN if:
- your child had 5 days unauthorised absence within 1 school year.
- your child is absent from school due to an unauthorised holiday
- your child is more than 30 minutes late (arrives after 9:25am) more than 10 times
Authorised/ unauthorised absence:
- If your child is ill - this is classed as an authorised absence
- Holidays are unauthorised.
- Holidays of 5 days or less won’t incur an FPN IF the child’s attendance was 92% or above in the previous academic year.
What is the cost of a Fixed Penalty Notice?
An FPN is £60 if paid within 28 days
What happens if I do not pay a Fixed Penalty Notice?
Parents will be given up to 42 days from receipt to pay the Fixed Penalty Notice in full. If you fail to do so, the Local Authority will start proceedings in the Magistrates’ Court for the original offence of poor school attendance and/or punctuality.
Can a school issue their own Penalty Notices?
No. The Fixed Penalty Notice scheme is administered by the Local Authority.
Schools DO NOT receive any money from FPNs.
We are implementing this to help raise attendance of pupils to support attainment, progress and wellbeing. If you have any questions about this, do not hesitate to contact me.
Mrs E Thomas - Head Teacher