The National Literacy and Numeracy Framework (LNF) is designed to help teachers embed literacy and numeracy
into all subjects for learners aged 5 to 14.
The LNF sets the skills we expect learners to develop. Within
literacy we expect learners to become accomplished in:
- oracy across the curriculum
- reading across the curriculum
- writing across the curriculum.
Within numeracy we expect learners to become accomplished in:
- developing numerical reasoning
- using number skills
- using measuring skills
- using data skills
Teachers will be able to use the LNF to:
- develop curriculum content to ensure that all learners
have opportunities to develop and refine the skills set out in
- integrate literacy and numeracy into their teaching –
whatever the subject matter
- inform discussions with parents/carers, learners and other
teachers about learner performance
- help learners with their own self-assessment activities and
planning for learning
- monitor, assess and report on individual learner performance
- identify learners who may benefit from intervention or who
are working beyond age-related expectations.